Hope for Domestic Violence Survivors – & – Cyber Security: Air Date 10/05/11
Also available on iTunes : ttp://itunes.apple.com/podcast/crime-prevention-101/id419406006
With an estimated 4 million victims a year, it’s a good bet that domestic violence — and it’s devastating consequences to the women, men, children, relatives, friends and even co-workers of those involved — will touch the life of every single American at some point in time. And, it’s not just a problem here in the US, domestic violence has been called a worldwide epidemic! October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, a good time to recommit to ending violence within our homes, our communities, our country and wherever in the world our message can reach.
This week, I spoke with Angela Watson from the Empire Education Group chain of cosmetology schools, which supports CUT IT OUT, a program that teaches hair salon professionals to recognize signs of domestic abuse in their clients and refer them to community resources. They have their own Empire Gives Back program which is doing amazing work supporting shelters all over the country. I also talked with Dr. Harrison Putman, plastic surgeon and Chairman of the Face To Face program of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. They’ve partnered with the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence to offer individuals who’ve been maimed by domestic violence free reconstructive surgery so they can look normal again.
Last up, Identity Theft expert Paige Hanson from LifeLock drops by to talk about October being National Cyber Security Awareness Month and how you can keep your personal information safe not just on your computer, but on your smart phone, tablets and any other electronic devices you use on the internet.
Got some great personal safety products for you too; and don’t forget to check out my domestic violence safety tips (one for each day of the month) on my blog CrimePrevention101.com, or on my Twitter @crimeprevent101 and, of course, my Facebook page: Susan Bartelstone.
- Angela Watson, Empire Education Group: http://www.empiregivesback.com/
- Face to Face — National Domestic Violence Project: http://www.facetofacesurgery.org/. 800-842-4546
- Give Back A Smile: free cosmetic dentistry: 1-800-773-4227: www.givebackasmile.com
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV): www.ncadv.org
- DVAM Resource materials: http://dvam.vawnet.org/
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: www.thehotline.org/ 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or
- LifeLock ID Theft: www.lifelock.com
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM): Staysafeonline.org//National Cyber Security Alliance: http://www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam
- Bullying: What Adults Need to Know and Do to Keep Kids Safe” … www.kidpower.org
Personal Safety Products;
- Bullying App: www.cyberbullyapp.com
- MyForce.com: www.myforce.com
- iGotYa iphone app: http://www.redmondpie.com/find-out-who-is-using-your-iphone-when-you-are-away-with-igotya-jailbreak-app